CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 27, 2007

Roller Coaster

My feet ached as I shuffled slowly along the concrete pathway. I waited patiently along with two of my best friends as the line seemed to move slower and slower with every passing second. The sounds of cheesy western music entered my thoughts and made my desire to get to the ride even greater. The Maverick was the newest ride in the theme park. With a 95 degree drop and newly mastered rolls, it was completely state of the art. Of course, in return for the joy of the ride was the extremely long line.
We passed the time with meaningless chit-chat until at last we arrived on the wooden platform where we would enter the cars. We fixed our eyes anxiously on the cars that kept coming and going like dreams, until reality finally struck. We were at the front of the line, and with a loud screech our roller coaster car pulled up in front of us. We exchanged high fives, plopped down in our seats, got strapped in, and awaited takeoff. It seemed like a lifetime before we finally started moving.
Slowly but surely, we made our way up the first hill. I was a huge melting pot of nervousness, joy, and even a bit of fear. I looked ahead and realized we had reached the top. I counted in my head, 1…2…3..., and all of a sudden the feeling of my stomach going into my feet interrupted my counting. We were going down. With amazing speed we went lower and lower as our screams got embarrassingly higher and higher. The drop finally ended, although ended would definitely be the wrong way to describe this.
My eyes watered and my hair flew back as we went on to complete a series of insane rolls, dives, loops, and drops. Suddenly, we found ourselves at a stop. We were in a tunnel surrounded by complete darkness. Confused thoughts filled my mind as I wondered what was happening. Once again, speed took over, and my thoughts fell apart. The roller coaster was back at it. We continued with our ride terrifyingly low to the water beneath us. Finally, we came to a halt, but this time it was for good. The look on my face most likely made others laugh, but it was very real. With legs shaking, we made our way out of the roller coaster and each sang our praises about how awesome the ride was.
As we left the park that night, we felt like kings. We had just tamed the Maverick.

0 comments: